Moving out of state can be an especially stressful experience. Tying up loose ends where you currently live, making sure everything is set up for your arrival in your new home, etc. The best way to make your out-of-state move as stress-free as possible is to keep things organized and make a list of everything that needs to be done prior to your move. While you might need to add a few things, this checklist a great starting off point to ensure your out-of-state move goes smoothly.
Before the Move
- Find a reputable out-of-state moving company that offers a free estimate.
- Begin making a list of all the accounts and subscriptions that will require an address update.
- Cancel or transfer any utilities or services if needed.
- Be sure to receive copies of your medical history paperwork, or have this paperwork sent to your new doctor’s office.
- Have your car tuned up and a thorough road safety test performed. Let the mechanic know you are moving out of state so that your tires can be checked and rotated appropriately.
- Make an emergency car kit in the event of a breakdown, complete with flares, jumper cables, a jug or water and some snacks. Also, be sure to replace your spare tire if it’s more than 6 to 10 years old or has been stored in extremely hot conditions.
- If you have pets, make sure they are up-to-date on their required vaccinations and get copies of their health records to take to their next vet.
- Double-check with movers when they are scheduled to arrive at your home. Be sure to load anything essential that you will need in your car, such as toiletries, medications, basic cooking equipment and utensils, etc.
If you’re planning an out-of-state move, let the experienced and professional movers at Bannister Moving & Storage help you lighten your load. Not only will we help you get all your belongings safely and securely moved to your new location, we can even help you pack! For more information on our rates and services, call us today!