3 Simple Guidelines to Follow
Even if you are excited for your big move, we know that you probably don’t feel the same way about all the little things you will have to plan and endure.
Part of the beauty of working with Bannister Moving & Storage is that we are always looking to make this as easy on you as it can possibly be. Once we show up at your home, we have everything taken care of—but here are some of the things you can be sure to do BEFORE that stage to make your life much easier:
1. Organize Your Belongings
This is the stage of the move where you consider what to get rid of. This can be a stressful series of decisions, but here are some helpful tips for organizing:
- Consider the Size of Where You’re Moving
If you are downsizing, you may need to finally say goodbye to that drum set or other things that will either get in your way or simply won’t fit in your new place.
- Create a System for Deciding What to Do with Items
You have a lot of stuff. We haven’t seen your place, but we know you have a lot of stuff, and it can be hard making those tough decisions because that stuff can mean a great deal to us. Better Home suggests two ways to help you narrow all that stuff down to brass tacks:
- A System of Four Categories: Organize your things in terms of what you want to keep, what you want to sell, what you can donate, and what should just be thrown away.
- One-Year Rule: As you’re packing, you’re going to find items and appliances you haven’t seen in years that have somehow stuck with you. The rule simply states that if you haven’t needed it in the last 12 months, you don’t need it now.
2. Know What NOT to Pack
Bannister Moving & Storage has already made this easy on you, if you know where to look. This basically boils down to things you cannot and things you should not pack.
- Consult Our Blog Post “What Not to Ship”
We’ve compiled a comprehensive list on items that are prohibited from being shipped because they are dangerous to both our drivers and the rest of your belongings they are being shipped with. Check out our list here!
- Pack Small, Necessary Items Separately
For a long distance move, you will likely be getting to your new home before the truck does. If this is the case, you’re going to want things like your toothbrush, one or two changes of clothes, your Driver’s License, insurance cards, birth certificates, your Passport, and other vital documents. You’re going to want immediate access to the things you need, as soon as you can identify what those are.
3. Insure Your Belongings
Luckily, Bannister Moving & Storage has also made this easy for you. If you consult our blog post entitled, “Moving Coverage,” you’ll see the 4 types of coverage that our company offers. Our moving professionals will consult with you to help you find the exact type of coverage that is best for your individual move.