When are you are beginning the moving process, your first thought may not be that you should downsize, but in all reality this is an excellent place to start. Just think, the less you have to move, the less supplies you will need, the less time you will have to spend packing, and the less it should cost you overall.
It may seem like a lot of work to have to go through all of your personal belongings, but by following these simple steps below, we hope to make your move a little easier.
- Start sorting your belongings by beginning with the room with the most items first. Stick with going through one room at a time to avoid getting overwhelmed.
- Sort through the biggest items in each room first. This includes things like pieces of furniture, electronics, and larger heirlooms. Then move onto smaller items such as clothing, personal products, books, movies, and more.
- Create four categories. We recommend placing each item in one of four major groups: items to keep, valuables, unwanted items, and useless items.
Actually getting rid of things might be the most difficult part of the process for you. Here are some suggestions of items that may fall into the category of unneeded stuff:
- Duplicate items – do you have more than one blender? Perhaps you’ve been hanging on to an old TV with the hopes that you would use it one day? It might be time to donate them.
- Items you’ve outgrown – whether your style has changed or your children have grown, you all probably have old clothes, toys, and other items that you do not need anymore.
- Items that you have forgotten about – this could include anything from that old musical instrument you don’t play to old tools that you never use.
- Collector’s items – perhaps you have a large Beanie Baby collection and it is time to get rid of them? Maybe you are hanging on to old baseball cards with the hopes that they will cash in big one day? It may be time to let go, especially if they are still of no value, in order to make room in your new home.
Once you have sorted through your personal belongings, you can feel good knowing that you are moving into your new home with less clutter and greater peace of mind.
If you are looking to move in the Phoenix area today, call Bannister Moving & Storage Inc. today to request a free quote. No job is too big or too small for our experienced movers!